After any type of flooding or water leaking situation, make safety your first priority
- Only stay in the house if it is safe. Do not try to clean-up if it is not safe to do so. Contact PLM Restoration and let the professionals handle it.
- Make sure you put put on gloves prior to cleaning, so you don’t touch mold with your bare hands.
- Electrical and slippery hazards are some of the most common concerns.
- Don’t use television or other electrical appliances.
- Stay away from rooms where ceilings are wet and saggy.
- Flood water can make the air in your home unhealthy because when things get wet for a long period of time, they usually get moldy. This may be a problem for many people with asthma and allergies.
- There may be germs and bugs in your home after a flood.
Some activities you can perform if it is safe:
- Turn air conditioners on for maximum drying
- Remove excess water from the floors by mopping; don’t use a household vacuum to remove water
- Remove and clean tabletop items such as lamps and other electric equipments if wet
- Remove art objects and other valuables to a safe dry place
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture and prop wet upholstery and cushions
- Place aluminum foil, plastic sheets, or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting
- Remove colored rugs that may stain the carpet if wet
- Gather loose items from floors; be cautious as wet objects can be extremely heavy
If you need help with water damage restorations in your home, PLM Restoration can help you get back to normal.