Texas is known for its humidity and with humidity comes BLACK MOLD. Mold thrives in Pasadena, particularly due to the increased chances of hurricanes and flood damage. The tiny spores of mold reproduce very quickly, and grow on all organic matter near it. As a result of the spreading spores, irritants, allergens, and potentially toxic substances emerge. This is where PLM Restoration comes in. We handle the mold detection, the mold removal process, and the mold cleanup. Due to the dangers associated with this particular type of mold exposure, a swift mold remediation is imperative. Insurance companies will not pay your claim if you haven’t done a thorough mold cleanup.
We handle the mold remediation process, and we handle it quickly. PLM can come out and perform mold inspections to assess the situation in your home or business.
What Does Mold Need To Grow?
The problem with mold is that it isn’t picky. It requires only a few things to flourish:
- Spores – The microscopic mold spores are the cells that initiate the reproduction process of this fungus. They are found everywhere, both inside and out.
- Nourishment - Any organic material can be used as nourishment for mold. Homes contain food, wood, paper, fabric, and a plethora of other organic materials for mold to feed upon.
- Climate - Mold can grow in any climate, with any temperature, but the humidity of Pasadena TX is a breeding ground.
- Dampness/Moisture – Mold does very well when there is moisture present. Pasadena’s high humidity gives ample opportunity for an increased chance of mold growth.
Though we can’t prevent nature from causing hurricanes and floods, there are some steps to take in order to prevent mold growth inside your home:
- Keep air conditioners on. This prevents mold from finding dank places to multiply in your air ducts.
- Do not close off the vents in any one room—this gives mold a place to hide, especially if it is a room you very rarely go into.
- Have an HVAC specialist make sure the air conditioning unit you have at your home is the right size for the amount of space. The job of an air conditioner is to keep the air cool enough to prevent humidity and having a unit that is too small will hinder this process
- Invest in a whole-house humidifier. This machine removes a lot of the moisture that is in the air and helps defend against mold.
What Mold Removal Companies Do
If your home has been in a flood or had any water damage, chances are you have at least some mold spores hiding out. Many times, if there is water hidden beneath tiles or wood, homeowners miss it, causing mold to spread rapidly without detection. This leads to a swift increase in growth and can cause many thousands of dollars worth of mold damage. Anywhere there is water, whether it is in plain view or hidden, it must be dried completely. Homeowners who think a towel dry is enough to deter the mold growth are usually hit with a hefty bill by a contractor weeks or months later. It is also worth noting that odor removal is impossible unless mold abatement is performed. The water has to be removed, completely to keep mold in your home from growing.
Pasadena mold removal companies, like PLM Restoration, know how to remove mold, as well as the chances of getting mold. They are trained professionals who not only take care of the mold detection, mold cleanup, and mold removal, but who also make sure insurance companies pay the fair amount. If you’ve had a remediation company come in, take pictures, and document every step of the process, insurance companies are more apt to pay fair value. At PLM Restoration, we deal with the insurance companies so you don’t have to!
What Does Black Mold Do to You?
Like many allergens, black mold is a toxin, but unlike many allergens, black mold can cause a multitude of symptoms. Some of the dangers of mold are:
- Muscle aches or weakness
- Burning throat
- Light sensitivity
- Night sweats
These symptoms vary in degree of severity, but when combined, it can become physically overwhelming.
Some of the rarer, more serious side effects of black mold are:
- Passing out
- Vision problems
- Swollen lymphatic system
- Trouble breathing
- Hair loss
- Trouble breathing
Mold Remediation Definition:
The term mold remediation is defined as “the removal, cleaning, sanitizing, demolition, or other treatment, including preventive activities, of mold or mold-contaminated matter that was not purposely grown at that location.” Tradewinds Envtl. Restoration, Inc. v. St Tammany Park LLC, 578 F.3d 255 (5th Cir. La. 2009)
How Do you Know if it’s Black Mold?
First of all, not all molds are toxic. That seems to be good news, however, unless you are familiar with the different spores in a scientific sense, ignoring the problem is very much like playing Russian Roulette. Black Mold, or Stachybotrys Atra (also known as Stachybotrys chartarum) is a species of a Toxic Mold that have probably heard about most often. This mold is dangerous to all living things, even plants and trees. It appears as a slimy, dark green or black, and grows relatively quickly.
Black mold has a musty, mildew smell to it, which is very strong. If the spores are in the air conditioning ducts, often times when the unit is turned on, the smell becomes even stronger.
Please contact PLM Restoration for mold removal if you suspect toxic mold is growing in your home.
Know your Toxic Molds
- Stachybotrys chartarum (also known as Stachybotrys atra, Stachybotrys alternans or Stilbospora chartarum) * This mold, aka “black mold” to the general public lives its life surviving off of dead materials that are rich in cellulose. A few examples would include cereal grains, wood-pulp, paper and hay or straw; (Stachybotryotoxicosis is a disorder that has affected farm hands that have handled contaminated straw). This species of mold is more commonly found in soil and plant debris. However, when found in your home, school or business; it is likely that there is or has been a water or moisture problem in the area.
- Aspergillus niger * Aspergillus niger can be found in environments where there is very little nutritional value for it to grow. However, it is abundant throughout our environment among the many species of molds. It is often found in homes where the walls are damp. It is black in color on its surface and generally white or yellow underneath. This particular species is also dangerous to humans when its spores settle into the lungs and have been credited with hearing issues and/or the loss of hearing.
- Memnoniella echinata : also known as Stachybotrys echinata * This particular species has been often found on cottons, linens, wool and canvas items. This mold does produce many of the same toxins produced by Stachybotrys chartarum and is therefore considered to be potentially dangerous to humans and indoor air quality.
Mold Remediation for Pasadena * Pasadena Mold Removal
PLM Restoration wants to help you get your Pasadena home free of mold and back to living in a healthy environment. Let us work with your insurance.
Get A Pasadena Mold Remediation Quote
If you suspect your home has toxic black mold, please call PLM Restoration at (832) 434-7130 to schedule your appointment today! We will have your home back to normal in no time at all.
We provide mold remediation services to Houston, Harris County, San Jacinto County, Fort Bend County, Grimes County, Walker County, Waller County, Montgomery County, Liberty County, Chambers County, Brazoria County, Galveston County and all of Southeast Texas:
Pasadena Area Cities:
Pasadena Area Zip Codes:
77501, 77508, 77502, 77506, 77587, 77017, 77504, 77503, 77547, 77012, 77034, 77505, 77061, 77087, 77029, 77075, 77536, 77015, 77209, 77023, 77011, 77089, 77013, 77033, 77059, 77020, 77048, 77021, 77530, 77003, 77062, 77004, 77571, 77507, 77588, 77010, 77026, 77002, 77201, 77051, 77202, 77203, 77052, 77204, 77206, 77207, 77208, 77210, 77212, 77213, 77215, 77216, 77217, 77218, 77219, 77220, 77221, 77222, 77223, 77224, 77225, 77226, 77227, 77228, 77229, 77230, 77231, 77233, 77234, 77235, 77236, 77237, 77238, 77240, 77241, 77242, 77243, 77244, 77245, 77248, 77249, 77251, 77252, 77253, 77254, 77255, 77256, 77257, 77258, 77259, 77261, 77262, 77263, 77265, 77266, 77267, 77268, 77269, 77270, 77271, 77272, 77273, 77274, 77275, 77277, 77279, 77280, 77282, 77284, 77287, 77288, 77289, 77290, 77291, 77292, 77293, 77297, 77299, 77028, 77001, 77581, 77598, 77049, 77006, 77058, 77078, 77572, 77030, 77546, 77009, 77549, 77054, 77047, 77016, 77005, 77098, 77586, 77019, 77584, 77007, 77025, 77045, 77562, 77046, 77093, 77022, 77522, 77573, 77574, 77008, 77027